Sunday, September 1, 2024

Creative Paralysis or How New UFOs are Made

Laptop Sleeve

Sometimes, I get stuck during my creative process and if I'm not careful I can end up with another UFO (unfinished object) to add to my growing collection.    In this case, too many options to consider has me a bit stuck.  I'm currently working on a "Cozy" top, pattern by Heidi Emmert. using a Kantha quilt I purchased for this purpose. Here is a link to the pattern info:  https://designsbyheidi.wordpress.com/2024/03/29/anytime-is-a-good-time-to-get-cozy/

I actually made a "muslin" earlier which probably doesn't really count as a muslin as I used some fabric I've had a long time in my stash and I hope to actually wear the finished product.  

Years ago, there was a SAS Fabric store in Tucson and they had great bargains....tables and tables of fabric bolts and pieces, notions, etc.  All at discount prices.  This fabric came from there and probably cost $3 a yard.  It's a lovely weight of woven fabric that has a nice hand.  Earlier this week I was looking for fabric to make a laptop sleeve since my MacBook Air is a little too big for the previous laptop case I made.  I found this fabric in a box and proceeded to make a new cover.  In the process I thought maybe I have enough of this fabric left to make the "muslin" Cozy before cutting into the Kantha quilt I purchased to make the pattern.    

Cozy "muslin"


As I proceeded I had to make some modifications to my first Cozy...making a large pleat in the center front and back to take out fullness and shortening the collar plus putting the pockets in the side seams.  I'm happy with the final product and ready to tackle Cozy #2 except I can't decide how to lay out the pattern on the quilt, which parts I want to use.  Should I make the collar go in the same direction as the front or not?  What sort of pockets should I make.  I don't think I want just simple patch pockets but I also don't want in seam pockets because I plan to use (another decision) French seams or Flat felled seams to make this Cozy reversible.  

Kantha for my second cozy

As I tried to figure of the pockets,  I searched online and in some books in my library and sketched out some different pocket options.  I was also reminded of this apron I made which has unique shaped pockets that I really like.  (I used my embroidery machine and design software to embellish them).  


Decisions decisions...but I think it's finally time to take the plunge and scissors and move ahead!  




No comments: