Friday, August 30, 2024

Rabbit Holes February-July 2024

I've taken another long hiatus since my last post in 2023, but as I continue to go down new creative "rabbit holes" I had the urge to share some of my recent creations.  I hope to post again soon about the most recent ones.  These were all completed February-July.  

Kawandi means quilt. A spool of thread and a needle, some fabric, and mindful stitching combined with a simple technique are the only elements needed for this age-old art of quilting. A kawandi is a utility quilt made by members of the Siddi community of India and Pakistan. Kawandi was brought to Western India and Pakistan by immigrants from Africa over 800 years ago. 

Smaller pieces of fabric are sewn onto a sari or other backing working from the outside edges inwards, often in a counter-clockwise direction. They usually start in one corner, and work their way around, adding pieces as they go with a simple running stitch. There are no raw edges, but typically put phulla (flowers) in the corner of the quilt that are folded triangles of fabric with raw edges.  

After learning about Kawandi and experimenting by making this small piece,  I led a guild study group session on this technique which involved putting together a handout and demonstrating the technique to the group.   Now, I'm working on a larger Kawandi that will be lap blanket sized.  Well to be honest, it's currently in "timeout" as I work on other things.    

English Paper Piecing:  Inspired by The Last Homely House on Youtube I taught myself to do English paper piecing which involves and completed several projects using small hexagons that are hand sewn together.   

Needle Case (pattern from Etsy store:  https://www.etsy.com/shop/SewingRoomSecrets



I also made this notebook cover.  I sized it to fit a composition book so I can replace the pages once I've filled them.  


Weaving:  In the past month, I finally warped my neglected 4 harness Gilmore loom to make two sets of towels.  Tying the second warp on to the first one proved a bit problematic, but I think I know what mistakes I made so won't have to repeat them again.  The draft is Keep It Simple towels from Handwoven, Summer 1985.  I made the labels for the towels with my embroidery machine (Brother Dream Machine).  My notes about the project can be found on Ravelry




ry:  https://ravel.me/homemadeoriginal/xcf5p6



Machine Embroidery:  
Designs on a denim jackets for a friend and granddaughter: 



Gilmore Girls design on a bag for my granddaughter's birthday:


In the hoop bag, design from Parker on the Porch:



No comments: