Sunday, May 3, 2009

Downsizing


Week by week as I do my grocery shopping, I've noticed the amount we spend per week going up. Since I tend to buy many of the same things from week to week, I've noticed some of them actually changing prices. For example, I used to buy a Duncan Hines brownie mix for $1. It's been going up pretty regularly and today it was "on special for" over $1.40. Increased prices on some things can just sneak by you because the manufacturers have started downsizing. What was 8 0z is now 7 or 7.6 and so on.

This morning I made the Bisquick Muffins Kate blogged about here. I swirled in a little cinnamon and they were scrumptious, by the way. However, that meant I needed to buy more paper muffin cups when I later went to the store. I've had a box of them for quite a while and I used the last of them this morning. When I came home with the replacement item from the store, I was shocked to see how much the size of the package had been downsized....from 88 to 36 muffin baking cups in the package. I remember years ago that these came in packages that lasted forever, probably hundreds of them. I doubt the price was reduced accordingly when the package changed. That seems like stealthy downsizing to me.

6 comments:

storybeader said...

that is a big different! I understand the prices going up and all, but changing the sizes - pretty sneaky, if you ask me!

It's the same as some staples I buy, like laundry soap. Are we really supposed to believe we don't need as much, bec it's stronger/better. I have to learn to make that natural laundry soap, or buy it from someone I trust!

Splendid Little Stars said...

absolutely true!
prices up:sizes down

Tulip's Talking said...

We've been noticing the same thing for awhile now. The packages actually feel unusual to hold after so many years being the same size.

Another trick I have seen is the same size package, with less content.

Times, they are a changin!

memoriesforlifescrapbooks said...

Yup...I've been seeing it too!

glorybe1024 said...

spending more and getting less...I remember when my mom fed a family of five for $55 a week and that was including two teenaged boys that were bottomless pits!

Becky said...

Wow, big changes! I know my grocery bill is at least 20-25% more these days, but I hadn't realised they were downsizing too, that's just mean! It started with the high gas prices, what's their excuse now? :D