Saturday, April 26, 2008

There is a first time for everything

So the saying goes. Encouraged by a Flickr contact who has done some wicker repair, I went on line last week and ordered supplies to repair the family bassinet. Today, armed with my new #7 round cane and with 4 library books on basket making and some on-line instructions, I forged ahead. I made some repairs to the body of the bassinet, including twining around the top. Tonight, I made this braid to attach to one part of the top where the worst damage is.
Wicker braid

Since I'm teaching myself as I go, I know it won't be perfect, but I'm hoping the repairs will make this heirloom last a couple more generations.

Today was a diversion from knitting. I put buttons on two more neck warmers which I knit while traveling last week. Here are the three which I shipped off to my customer in South Australia today plus another I am making with Baby Alpaca Grande, what a heavenly yarn!
Neckwarmers, 3 down 1 to go-Day 178
I made considerable progress on my baby sweater this week also. Today I bought some cute heart buttons. They are adorable but cost almost as much as the yarn to make the sweater. The pattern is the Babies Neck Down Cardigan from Knitting Pure and Simple and the yarn is Plymouth Encore Color spun.
Baby sweater, almost finished
Buttons for baby sweater

2 comments:

Kim said...

Your wicker work looks great. I admire your desire to preserve this piece!

Nanette Merrill said...

I'm so proud of you, what a great job on the wicker basket bed. I can't believe you did it! When I saw it I thought, yikes how to do that? I'm really impressed. Other pics are cute, too.