Monday, January 28, 2008

Knitting Snow

Earlier tonight, I was looking on Flickr for snow or ice sculptures. Seeing a photo that Kalurah had posted of a dinosaur snow sculpture she made with her children inspired me to see what else I could find. I was remember a snow sculpture I helped make in about 1969. Perhaps I'll write more about that one some day. This was the most wonderful example I found and it seemed to be the perfect picture for a blog like mine that is mostly about knitting.

Here's some info. about the sculpture.

It was the entry of the Alberta team and won the People's Choice Award at Winterlude's National Snow Sculpture Competition in Ottawa last year. I was born in Alberta, so I have to say I connected with that detail.

The sculpture was entitled: Knitting Family Poems


"These two great hands knitting are symbolic of an essential activity that was typically passed down by generations of grandmothers, mothers, daughters and friends. This act of love and necessity brought families together for conversation by the fire, kept farmers warm during winter and made outdoor activities enjoyable, as knitted garments offered protection from the cold. The poem that adorns the garment provides lyrical play, describing the pleasures and trials of life during winter in this great country."

The photo is from Kadcat (Marlene) who describes herself as an "amateur photographer" from Ottawa. After looking at some of her photos, I would hardly describe her as an amateur.

2 comments:

Nanette Merrill said...

That is unbelievable.

Marlene said...

Aww - thanks so much for not only posting my photo but for the kind comment as well :-). That sculpture was an amazing thing to see.

Love your knitted work - it is really beautiful. I used to do a lot of knitting myself but not so much anymore.