Sunday, August 26, 2007

New Friends, New Skills

A few years ago, I was introduced to the pleasures of watching the "Friends" t.v. series by my daughter. I discovered it late enough that I am still finding shows I didn't see in reruns. I hadn't really thought about which character I resembled (if any) until I happened upon Brainfall.com this morning. Friends is one of the choices you can make for a quiz that tells you which character matches your answers. According to the website, I most resemble Monica. That's a bit of a surprise to me since she is the excessively neat and organized one of the group of friends which hardly describes me....



You are Monica. You have a go-all-out nature. Your friends better watch out, because you play to win. Also, when it comes to order and cleanliness, you're a bit obsessive compulsive. Your best trait, however, is your thoughtfulness. You go to great lengths to care for your friends.


If I'd had different answers to the quiz, perhaps I'd have had these results

You are Joey. You may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but you're unrivalled when it comes to the opposite sex. You're a great friend, going great lengths when needed. Remember: your friends are your lifeline and you'd better not leave them behind. Success will be hard to find without them around.



You are Phoebe. You're the weird kid with odd habits. Most people don't know it, but you're kinky in bed. Your childhood memories aren't your best, but why do you care? There's plenty of time to make up for your lost childhood now that you're an adult.



Personally, I think I like Ross the best but try as I might I couldn't get his profile to come up on the quiz. Try it when you have a few minutes to kill.




I didn't play on Brainfall all day, however. I turned my creative energies to some knitting and felting projects. First I made my second attempt at using duplicate stitch. I believe I got better proportions with this try because I found a website where you can print out knitter's graph paper based on the ratio of stitches to rows: http://www.sweaterscapes.com/lcharts3.htm. A 4" sample of my project showed I had 16 stitches and 24 rows in the 4". That would mean I would select an aspect ratio of 1.5 for my chart. However, I knew the when I felt anything, it shrinks much more in height than it does width, I selected the proportion 1.64. That was the highest proportion of rows to stitches you could select. This seemed to work quite well. Although I felt like the letters were pretty big for my small item, they were in proper proportion. After finishing the duplicate stitch, I ran both of the small cases through the washer for felting. I found that a piece of 2x4 was perfect for blocking them.


Later in the day, I learned and applied a new skill, using the I-cord cast off technique or applied I-cord around the top of my large Wedgewood bag. I found a great website with knitting videos that illustrated this I-cord technique extremely clearly: http://www.knittingatnoon.com/atticord.html . I'm hoping it gives the top of my bag a nice finished, firm edge, but we'll see after I get it in the washer. Tune in to find out in a day or two.

2 comments:

Blessed said...

hi there,

i have a site which i just created. I post all my hand made items there. I have limited contacts and relations in the united states.

i would be tremendously grateful if you could take some time to visit my site and link mine to yours

oneblessedsoul.blogspot.com

your time is greatly appreciated,
thank you,
godbless

Sara Millis said...

I definately 'Pull a Monica' on occassion, if that counts!!

Sara x