Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A New Year


It's a new year and I haven't posted on my blog in a while but I belong to a wonderful team called the Etsy Bloggers and they have a bi-weekly blog carnival. I was reminded today that it's time for one of those carnivals. The topics this time are: 1) It's that time of year again! What's your New Years Resolution? Do you think it's a realistic one (will you accomplish your goal)?
2) Now that it's the beginning of a new year, what goal do you have for your business that you hope to achieve in 2011?

I've never been much for New Year's resolutions, seems they are more easily broken than made so I try to be realistic in my goals (my preferred terminology rather than resolution). I started around Christmas trying to spend 15-20 minutes a day walking on my treadmill. The weather is dreadfully cold here so walking outside which I would prefer is out of the question. I've failed before with my fitness goals because they are impossible to keep with my busy schedule. I am allowing myself to skip one day, but not two days in a row. I hope by being modest in my goal around better fitness that I can stay committed.

For my business, I want to relax a bit this year. It is likely to be my last year in my "day job" and I want to devote myself there. Last year I got a bit burned out on my crafting efforts, shows, and Farmer's Market (which I may skip entirely this year or really scale back). I'd like to concentrate on creating one or two new knitting patterns rather than creating finished items. My knitting efforts will be more focused on making items for myself, family and friends.

Thinking about the New Year, I'm reminded of an ad on TV which shows people celebrating like it is New Year's on February 18 and several other random days of the year. I don't even recall what product they are selling, but the message is something like wouldn't it be something if every day was like New Years. I do believe that we choose our attitude, so why not approach each day like it is the beginning of something new!

Currently, I'm making an adorable hat, Merg's cap. I just finished a sweater for a present but can't show it until after the birthday girl gets to see it first.

3 comments:

Linda E. Pruitt said...

I think the operative word here should be "Enjoy". Enjoy your work, enjoy your creativity, and don't stress! I'm for that!

storybeader said...

I know that the patterns will do well - there are so many people just itching to work with something new and creative! Good approach to the new year! {:-D

Memories for Life said...

It sounds like you have a great year planned :)