Friday, June 5, 2009

A Special Jewel

One of the Etsy blogger's bi-weekly themes this time is: "June's birthstone is the pearl or moonstone. June's flower is the rose. Share your favorites or stories or blog on June symbols of your own." At first I drew a creative blank on both proposed topics for the Blog Carnival, but then I remembered something my father did years ago.

It was my 16th birthday and to commemorate he had gone to the local jeweler to find something special for his daughter. I was excited as I opened the little wrapped box. I think it was the first "real" jewelry I ever received. It was my birthstone, a topaz, but the stone was very large and although I think I tried to hide my disappointment, he knew immediately that I wasn't thrilled. So, he told me that he wanted to take me to the jewelry store and make sure there wasn't something I would like better. At first I insisted that wasn't necessary and thanked him for the ring, but he persisted and a day or two later he drove me down to the jewelry shop. I eagerly picked out a ring that was more to my liking which I have to this day. It's a single pearl with a small diamond accent. That act by my Dad and the ring made it a very special "sweet sixteen" for me.



While on my recent Arizona travels, I purchased a lovely hand crafted topaz necklace for myself. So finally, I have my topaz too. Interestingly, I picked out the necklace without realizing the stone was topaz. Now each time I wear it, I smile, thinking about my Dad and how he made my 16th birthday so special that I still remember 44 years later.



4 comments:

Memories for Life said...

Awwww...what a sweet post :)
I still have a necklace my dad gave me years ago for Christmas :)

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

That's such a sweet story! I'm a topaz baby too :)

Splendid Little Stars said...

How wonderful and special. When I was fairly young, I admired a small clock in a window shop. I believe it saw it a number of times and really loved it. My Dad bought it for me and I have it even now. It sits on the dresser in my bedroom. It reminds me of the special love of my Dad for me.

Becky said...

What a great story! It's what makes memories so special! ♥