Sunday, July 13, 2008

Alpaca Wonderful

I knit up the beautiful lime green Baby Alpaca Grande I bought a week ago into this:

Crafting 365/ Day 256 Alpaca Lime neckwarmer

It is so soft and lovely. I just need to find some matching buttons to finish it up. I have a custom order for a purple neck warmer and I was thrilled to see that this lovely yarn is available in that color too. I may just have to order a variety of colors to knit a few more of these.

Baby alpaca, by the way, does not come from a baby alpaca, but is just the softest, finest part of the fleece. NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THIS NECK WARMER, I PROMISE!

Did you know that alpaca fiber is several times warmer than wool and much stronger? Alpaca fiber is as soft as cashmere, but can feel even smoother and softer than cashmere. A cross section of an alpaca fiber reveals microscopic air pockets. These pockets of air add to the insulating qualities as well as the light weight of an alpaca garment.

No comments: