Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Is it true that diamonds are a girl's best friend?



Etsy Bloggers is an Etsy street team with many talented bloggers. The featured blogger this month is Stormy Designs, the co-organizer of the street team's Blog Carnival . She is also a polymer clay artist offering unique sculptures, art, home decor, art jewelry and accessories. Check out her Etsy shop and her blog for more inspiration:

Shop: http://www.stormydesigns.biz/

Blog: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5272765


The photo above is a large item from her shop that I particularly like and which reminded me of the Blog carnival theme of the week, which is Diamonds and Daisies, at least the daisy part. I haven't seen any daisies around here (I'm visiting Arizona) only things that look more like this:





For the diamond part, I was interested to read about this Hong Kong diamond on a blog I read regularly, Brouhaha has Spoken . Apparently, it is a 72.22 carat diamond, worth somewhere between $10 million and $13 million. Personally, in spite of the popularity of the expression "diamonds are a girl's best friend", I've never been partial to large shiny stones. I think it would be downright dangerous to wear one on your finger (at least it would be for me).

Thinking about large stones reminds me about a story from my childhood. For my "sweet sixteen" birthday, my father bought be a beautiful birthstone ring that I'm sure he hoped I would cherish. My birthday is in November and the ring had a very large topaz stone. I opened the package and must have expressed my disappointment without words . I would never have told him I didn't like it. He insisted on taking me to the jewelry store to see if there would be something I would like even better than the topaz. I declined at first, but he insisted. The next day, we traded the topaz for a single pearl with a small diamond in a heart shaped setting. I still have it and wear it, always recalling my father's grace, generosity, and kindness.




As for my current taste in jewelry , this is the ring I wear most often these days, Baltic Amber set in sterling silver. No sharp edges to hurt myself or anyone else! I bought this ring in on my favorite little towns, Rossland, B.C., Canada which is near my aunt's home of Castlegar and my childhood home of Trail.

Finally, I have to share my own "diamonds" of the day, my wonderful thrift store find, all wool yarn in a rainbow of wonderful colors. I can't believe I got all this for $1.00!


4 comments:

Serendipity Collections said...

I love that you featured Stormy's Daisy vase! So gorgeous! Enjoyed reading your post!

Jana

Kathleen J. said...

Your "Would it kill you to comment" button made me laugh.

I enjoyed your post. For being part of the carnival - Thank You!

Paisley The Jackabee said...

Thanks for featuring my vase. Great read, thanks for participating.

joeyandaleethea said...

Ooh great thrift find! And thank you for helping to break the EtsyBloggers record for the most blog carnival entries!