Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Is it true that diamonds are a girl's best friend?



Etsy Bloggers is an Etsy street team with many talented bloggers. The featured blogger this month is Stormy Designs, the co-organizer of the street team's Blog Carnival . She is also a polymer clay artist offering unique sculptures, art, home decor, art jewelry and accessories. Check out her Etsy shop and her blog for more inspiration:

Shop: http://www.stormydesigns.biz/

Blog: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5272765


The photo above is a large item from her shop that I particularly like and which reminded me of the Blog carnival theme of the week, which is Diamonds and Daisies, at least the daisy part. I haven't seen any daisies around here (I'm visiting Arizona) only things that look more like this:





For the diamond part, I was interested to read about this Hong Kong diamond on a blog I read regularly, Brouhaha has Spoken . Apparently, it is a 72.22 carat diamond, worth somewhere between $10 million and $13 million. Personally, in spite of the popularity of the expression "diamonds are a girl's best friend", I've never been partial to large shiny stones. I think it would be downright dangerous to wear one on your finger (at least it would be for me).

Thinking about large stones reminds me about a story from my childhood. For my "sweet sixteen" birthday, my father bought be a beautiful birthstone ring that I'm sure he hoped I would cherish. My birthday is in November and the ring had a very large topaz stone. I opened the package and must have expressed my disappointment without words . I would never have told him I didn't like it. He insisted on taking me to the jewelry store to see if there would be something I would like even better than the topaz. I declined at first, but he insisted. The next day, we traded the topaz for a single pearl with a small diamond in a heart shaped setting. I still have it and wear it, always recalling my father's grace, generosity, and kindness.




As for my current taste in jewelry , this is the ring I wear most often these days, Baltic Amber set in sterling silver. No sharp edges to hurt myself or anyone else! I bought this ring in on my favorite little towns, Rossland, B.C., Canada which is near my aunt's home of Castlegar and my childhood home of Trail.

Finally, I have to share my own "diamonds" of the day, my wonderful thrift store find, all wool yarn in a rainbow of wonderful colors. I can't believe I got all this for $1.00!


4 comments:

Serendipity Collections said...

I love that you featured Stormy's Daisy vase! So gorgeous! Enjoyed reading your post!

Jana

Cozy said...

Your "Would it kill you to comment" button made me laugh.

I enjoyed your post. For being part of the carnival - Thank You!

Stormy Designs said...

Thanks for featuring my vase. Great read, thanks for participating.

Joey & Aleethea said...

Ooh great thrift find! And thank you for helping to break the EtsyBloggers record for the most blog carnival entries!