Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Challenge Should I Decide to Accept it

is to perform "magic" of sorts on this family heirloom. It's the bassinet used by my father then by my sister and I and all of our 4 children. I want to repair it before passing it on to my son and his wife for their first child. So, I'm desperately seeking the materials and information I need to do this project. Since I have some experience with weaving, I think I might be able to pull it off. Tonight, I am just doing research. If any of my readers know of any experts in this subject or where one can buy materials, please let me know.

Wicker basinett challenge- to restore a family heirloom

By the way, the three books pictured were my fathers. They have copyright dates of 1949 and 1954. There are two versions of the "Raffia Work" booklet, from those two dates. I don't know how different the contents are or why he had both copies, but one is marked 25 cents and the newer one is marked 50 cents. The Basketry book is marked 2s 6d and there is an intersting list of "other titles available" on the back including Feltwork, Lawn Tennis, Spare Time Learning for Women, Spare Time Earning for Women, Conjuring, Budgerigars (what in the heck is that one) and last but not least, Pig Keeping

Concurrently, I've been working on my first decorative flag. I got the design idea from a hand applique book (though I am not hand appliqueing it). I've already learned some things about flag making the hard way. Isn't that the best way to learn and remember? Now, that I've got the basics figured out about double applique (I should have read more before starting), it's going pretty well. Here's a few in progress photos from the last couple of days:
Flag construction-Crafting Day 167
Flag making-Crafting 365/Day 169
Flag making

4 comments:

Kim said...

What an exciting project! I am so intrigued and can't wait to see your progression.

Dayna said...

Lovely bassinet. Just think of all the history it carries! I wish you the best of luck in repairing it.

The Nature Nut said...

What a lovely bassinet - I'm sure it's going to look fantastic once you get it all fixed up. Sweet flags too!

Nanette Merrill said...

What a wonderful thing to pass on and so good to keep it in repair. I'm sure you'll figure it out. I can't wait to see it.